Diono is a well-known car seat brand trusted by many parents. Although it has their children’s comfort and safety covered during commutes, parents must ensure it remains comfortable and sanitized by cleaning off the contaminants, germs, vomit, and vomit smell prone to get on the child car seat cover as necessary.
How to wash Diono car seat cover requires caution and the use of appropriate cleaning products to avoid causing damage. This article will demonstrate the step-by-step process for effectively and safely cleaning the seat cover.
Table of Contents
6 Easy Steps to Wash Diono Car Seat Cover
Step 1: Prepare
- Spatula and baking soda (In the case of vomit)
- Vacuum cleaner and crevice tool vacuum attachment
- Stain remover or a one-part vinegar and one-part water mixture
- Soft-bristled brush
- Mild detergent or soap
- Lukewarm water
- Basin (recommended) or washing machine
- Dryer (optional)
Step 2: Clean off the Crumbs, Dirt, Etc. on the Car Seat Cover
The car seat cover is prone to particles, such as crumbs, dirt, and even vomit. It’s advisable to address these contaminants first before washing the seat cover.
- Use a spatula to scoop the vomit out of the seat.
- Dampen a cloth to wipe clean the affected areas.
- Sprinkle some baking soda on the dampened areas and work it onto the surface with a cloth. This would effectively clean off the stains and get the puke smell out.
- Let the areas you worked on dry up. Once they’re dry, vacuum out the residues.
Crumbs and Dirt
- Gently go over the seat cover with a vacuum cleaner or soft-bristled brush to remove the contaminants.
- It would help to use the crevice tool vacuum attachment to tackle crevices.
Step 3: Remove the Cover From the Seat
To be able to do a deep clean, you’ll also need to remove the car seat cover to wash it.
How to take off the car seat cover depends on the seat’s model. But generally, it involves the following steps:
- Remove the pads for the harness and buckle
- Then, unhooking the harness from the back and pull them out of the slots
- Unfasten the cover from the sides.
You can see the specific instructions on removing the seat cover in the manual or watch tutorial videos on removing the cover available on YouTube.
Step 4: Spot Treat Any Stains
If the seat cover has been stained, then it would require the additional step of spot-treating stains with a commercial stain remover or a DIY mixture of one part white vinegar and one part water. But avoid using bleach.
- Follow the stain remover’s instructions for usage. But generally, you’d have to directly apply a little of the product on the stains and leave it on there for the amount of time recommended in the product instructions, which is usually just a few minutes.
- Work the stain remover onto the stains using a soft-bristled brush.
Step 5: Hand Wash or Machine Wash
Although Diono car seats have machine washable car seat covers, it’s still best to hand wash them.
- Machine washing
As per Diono’s specific instructions, in the case of machine washing, the washing machine must not have an agitator to avoid damaging the seat cover.
However, the memory foam must not be machine-washed. So, if you’re going to machine wash the seat cover, gently pull the memory foam off the seat cover first.
Whether you’re hand washing or machine washing, make sure to use a mild detergent or soap and lukewarm water.
Also, avoid fabric softener, bleach, and other harsh cleaners.
For hand washing, prepare a basin filled with lukewarm water with some added mild detergent or soap and agitate them to create suds. Then, soak the seat cover in the suds for a few minutes.
After letting it soak, gently scrub it using a soft-bristled brush.
Finally, thoroughly rinse it with clean water, making sure no residue is left behind.
Step 6: Dry the Car Seat Cover
Diono car seat covers can be naturally air-dried or dried in the dryer. But the memory foam should only be air-dried.
Make sure to avoid wringing the seat cover before you dry it. But you can pat it dry with a towel.
If you’re going to use the machine dryer, make sure to put it in the fluff or no heat setting.
It’s important to follow the proper steps and use the appropriate cleaning products for how to wash Diono car seat cover to achieve cleanliness without causing damage. Careful maintenance of your child’s car seat makes for comfy, safe seating that would remain in good condition for several years of usage.