White leather car seats look pleasant and have luxurious air, but they can quickly get soiled by dirt and stains; even the smallest marks are noticeable on them. Abrasion and cracks are other flaws that can be very visible.
So to be able to enjoy their luxurious aesthetic, you must know how to clean white leather car seats properly. There are different methods for cleaning below. There are also extra steps you can take for adding shine and protection to it.
Table of Contents
- Method 1 – Cleaning With a Leather Cleaner
- Method 2 – Cleaning With Vinegar and Water
- Method 3 – Cleaning With Toothpaste
- Method 4 – Cleaning With Lemon Juice and Cream of Tartar
- Method 5 – Cleaning With Nail Polish Remover
- Method 6 – Cleaning With Baking Soda
- Additional Steps for Adding Shine and Protection
Method 1 – Cleaning With a Leather Cleaner
What we need:
- Leather Cleaner – You must be cautious about which white leather cleaner for cars to use. It would help to check the tags on the white leather car seats.
Moreover, there are some things that you generally should avoid when cleaning leather, like sticky agents that have oil and wax. Such products can make your leather seats sticky and attract dirt, and in worse cases, can harden and crack.
Another kind of cleaning product you should not use is one containing silicone. This ingredient can also make leather crack.
- Cloths and/or Soft-Bristled Brush – Depending on what cleaning method you will use, some cloths would be needed either for applying the cleaning solution or wiping off the cleaning solution and stains. A soft-bristled brush can also be used for scrubbing your white leather seats.
Step 1: Rub or Scrub Leather Cleaner on the White Leather Car Seats
Apply some leather cleaner onto a cloth. Then gently rub the cloth on the white leather car seats. Or you may spray the cleaner on the leather car seats and scrub them with a soft-bristled brush.
Avoid rubbing or scrubbing the cloth with too much pressure as the leather seats may get damaged. And the soap is capable of doing the cleaning work by itself.
Step 2: Wipe Off the Moisture
After giving the white leather car seats a good rub with some leather cleaner, you would wipe the moisture off the leather seats. If there is some leftover moisture that can’t get dried off, just let them air dry.
Method 2 – Cleaning With Vinegar and Water
What to prepare:
- Vinegar – Vinegar can remove dirt and grease as well as killing germs. Although it may come with a pungent smell, it can also serve as a deodorizer, taking foul smells along with it once it gets aired out.
- Bowl and Stirrer
- Cotton Balls
Step 1: Combine Vinegar and Water
A mixture of vinegar and water can be used to create a leather car seat cleaning solution. You can easily create a DIY cleaning solution with them by combining equal parts of each of them. Although it may smell, the smell will vanish when it’s aired out.
Step 2: Apply the Solution on the Leather Car Seats With a Cotton Ball
You would apply the solution with a cotton ball. You would dip the cotton ball into the solution and then rub it on the leather car seats.
Step 3: Wipe Off the Moisture
You would wipe the moisture away from the leather seats using a cloth.
Method 3 – Cleaning With Toothpaste
What to prepare:
- Toothpaste – Toothpaste can be used for stain removal on leather car seats.
Step 1: Scrub Toothpaste on Stains
Toothpaste can be scrubbed on leather car seats for stain removal, along with the use of a toothbrush. But before scrubbing, you will first dampen the stained areas with a damp cloth. Afterward, you’d pour a small amount of toothpaste on your finger, which you will then rub onto the stains.
You would then take a toothbrush and use it to scrub the stain.
Step 2: Wipe Off the Toothpaste and Stains
After scrubbing off the stain, grab a towel and use it to wipe off the toothpaste and stain.
Method 4 – Cleaning With Lemon Juice and Cream of Tartar
What we need:
- Lemon Juice – Lemon has antibacterial properties and can remove stains, scuff, and grease from leather car seats.
- Cream of Tartar – Although it serves as a preservative and controls PH levels of wine during fermentation and is used for baking, this versatile substance is also capable of cleaning leather car seats.
- A clean cloth
Step 1: Combine Lemon Juice and Cream of Tartar
We can combine lemon juice with cream of tartar to create a paste cleaning mixture. The amount of the ingredients can be adjusted to achieve the desired consistency.
Step 2: Rub the Paste Mixture Onto the Stains
Once your paste mixture is ready, rub it onto the stains and let it sit for thirty minutes.
Step 3: Remove the Paste Mixture
Afterward, remove the mixture with a sponge. And the last step is to rub the area with a clean cloth.
Method 5 – Cleaning With Nail Polish Remover
What we need
- Nail Polish Remover – Nail polish remover is capable of removing ink stains on leather car seats.
- Cotton Swab
Apply Nail Polish Remover on Ink Stains
Nail polish remover can be used for removing ink stains. You can apply it to the ink stains with a cotton swab. Apply some nail polish remover on its tip and dab on the stain but do not rub it because it will only make the stain bigger. Wash away the dirt with water or a dampened cloth.
Method 6 – Cleaning With Baking Soda
What we need:
- Baking Soda – We can use baking soda to clean white leather seats as it is a very absorbent substance to lift away grease and oil from leather car seats.
- A clean cloth
Step 1: Rub Baking Soda on Affected Areas
Baking soda can be used to clean grease and oil off leather car seats. Just rub some baking soda on the affected areas and leave it there overnight to absorb all the grease and oil.
Step 2: Wipe Away the Baking Soda
Come morning, wipe the baking soda off the seats with a clean cloth.
Additional Steps for Adding Shine and Protection
Apply White Shoe Polish
White shoe polish may be applied to white leather car seats to restore their shine and make them look good as new.
After cleaning white leather seats, if you wish, you can do an additional step of enhancing the appearance of your white leather car seats by adding some shine with some white shoe polish. Dip a cloth into the shoe polish and work it onto the leather seats.
Apply Leather Protector
A leather protector will help maintain the cleanliness of your white leather car seats by keeping them protected from dirt, dust, spills, and stains. It’s advisable to go for a water-based leather protector. Also, remember to check the tags of your car’s white leather seat for product ingredients that are safe to use and avoid.
The last step is to protect the white leather car seats to make them less prone to getting dirty. It’s as simple as spraying them down with a leather protector. Moreover, it’s necessary to periodically reapply leather protectors on your leather car seats for approximately every six months or as stated in the product instructions.
Cleaning white leather car seats is necessary, yet you also have to be cautious with the products you use on them. Now, you know how to clean white leather car seats the right way, follow the steps and your white leather car seats would be all good.
What did you think about this tutorial? Share with us in the comments and like and share it if you enjoyed it.